Thursday, April 23, 2015

Book Review - A Princess Bound: Naught Fairy Tales for Women

A Princess Bound is an absolutely wonderful collection of naughty fairy tales wrapped up into one book.  Retellings of Little Red Riding Hood, Beauty and the Beast to less traditional stories about a beautiful selkie or Ravens becoming men. I wouldn't say this is specifically for women, as I really don't like making things gender specific like that, but these stories tend to have a more romantic bent, even with all the fucking.

I think my favorite out of the compilation was "The Smith Under the Hill" a woman in control, saving her brother, and ending up in love with a fairy Prince. Yeah. Im good with that, plus it was very reminiscent of  Holly Blacks "Tithe" and "Iron Side" which made me rather happy honestly, but I will go one about Holly Blacks trilogy at another time.

"Sealed" was also wonderful as it dealt pretty closely with old Irish mythology about selkies (a type of fairy, kind of mermaid ish.).

 The strong BDSM/Kink tones in the stories are not like in some anthologies I have read where the sex is so rough it is almost abusive and triggering. I very much enjoyed the overall feel of the book and the stories we compelling for the most part. This, I have a feeling, will end up being a book I lend out and not get back. I know I enjoyed it.







No comments:

Post a Comment